Sunday, February 3, 2013

Post-Concert, Pre-Game

It felt marvelous to climb into bed last night. It had been a good day and a good concert. My mom did cancel (note yesterday's update) so I took a long nap before the pre-concert ritual. Every musician has their ritual, which never varies. Mine is a shower. Doesn't matter if I had a shower that morning, I always shower right before a concert. It is the beginning to being focused.

The concert went well. The other bass player and I sighed a huge sigh of relief when the Elgar Cello Concerto was finished. Done. Don't want to do THAT again. The posters throughout the Coastside and an article in the local paper strongly advertised Beethoven's 5th Symphony as part of the concert. Yes, that one. The place was overflowing. Lots of young families who were bringing children to a concert for the first time attended. No one left at intermission. They WANTED to hear what they came to hear and, I must say, it was magnificent. So satisfying.

The other bassist and I had small goofs but were very happy with how we performed. It was a tough concert and we walked away from it with our heads held high! Rehearsals begin for the May concert this Wednesday.

I must relate a cute comment. As longtime readers know, I lost 60-pounds almost two years ago and thankfully have been able to keep it off. As I was hauling my large string bass out to the car after the concert, one woman commented, "That is such a huge instrument and you are such a little thing!" Made my day! If only she knew!

So today is the day that we in the Bay Area have been waiting for these past long two weeks. It is Superbowl day. We are ready. Jim and Kathy are serving crab and beef ribs with roasted veggies for dinner. We are bringing nuts and olives for snacks as they didn't want a lot of "bad" food. It should be fun. We will be rooting for the 49ers, of course!

No comments: