Saturday, March 2, 2013

Huge Spaces and Tiny Places

 I have written many blogs about my brother. Here is a bit of background: http://livingwellwithabaddiagnosis.blogspot.com/2010/06/little-brother.html

I truly love him and his wife Betty. Her health has greatly improved from the lows of last year. He is currently finishing up his fifth patent. My brother works with the National Radio Astronomy Observatories who builds radio telescopes. Apparently, one at Los Alamos needed some help and he was called in to fix it. The photo is above. Note the tiny stairs all the way up to the dish. Yes, it was a long walk up!

He recently told me that these telescopes can even observe the continental drift. Remarkable.

Here is a photo of him doing his work, hard hat and all.

Here is a view of the desolate area. Nothing.

I also received an interesting message from my biologist/musician friend Lois about the increase of the pressure in my lungs and the reason Dr. K. wants me to use more supplemental oxygen during my day. Here is her message:
I was really happy to hear that you don't have pulmonary hypertension after all.  This increase in pressure can explain a lot of things, however.  The main function of the lungs is to exchange gases: give off CO2 and take up oxygen.  In order to accomplish this it really needs excellent perfusion--that is free flow of blood along the network of small blood vessels that contact with air-- and flexibility.  If the blood pressure is too high it means the blood is not freely accessible to air for the gas exchange to take place.  This may be caused by increasing stiffness of the lungs as fibrosis takes place.  Increasing the amount of oxygen will help offset this stiffness and you will have better oxygen uptake.  The sleep problems you ascribe to anxiety may just have been insufficient oxygen.

I love having brilliant relatives and friends. They explain so much to me whether it is in the largeness of space or the tiny blood vessels of my lungs.

No comments: