Thursday, March 21, 2013

Thank You for Sharing Your Cold!

Well, I did it. I sent the e-mail about the Stanford professor I met when Natalie and I went to the gala fundraiser over a month ago. I sent it to the head of the school where I got sick as a possible electronic music/technology program mentor for the new high school. I sent it because my friend Lois reminded me that it was a fantastic connection, which could change student's lives.

There was a reply this morning. Diane told me it was a terrific suggestion and that they would definitely follow up.

I hope it all works out. It will be my good deed for the year.

At the yoga hell class yesterday, I thought I was arriving at my regular time only to find the parking lot full. As I have the oxygen tank with me, I try to workout from a far corner of the room so it is not in anyone's way. Too late! There was a woman there already stretching and she had her mat at 45 degrees from the corner, using a lot of space. I laid the mat near her and began to quietly get settled. Well, she was all over the place. She was upside down. She was on one foot. She was the only one in the room not just simply stretching. Finally, she sat down and let out a huge ugly cough.

I smiled and quietly asked, "Is that a cold or do you have allergies?" Her reply, "I am trying to get rid of a cold. Yoga helps move it threw."

Calmly I said, as I picked up my mat and all my stuff, "If it is all right with you, I am going to move. I have no immune system." She appeared to be insulted. "I don't think I am contagious," she called after me as I moved to the other far corner of the now packed room. The man I met last week moved his mat to make a space for me and I ended up so close to the door, I was worried about being trampled. She coughed throughout the class. Thanks for sharing your cold with us!

There are places where people gather whether they are contagious or not: funerals, weddings, birthday parties, holidays, church, school, work. And now added to that list, a yoga class.

Also during the class, I twisted my left knee. It hurt! I iced it several times yesterday afternoon and had no pain this morning until I ran down the hall to Michael with his ringing cell phone. The pain said, Hello! Remember me! Now I am worried about the rehab class this afternoon. It is fine if I walk straight and not twist it in any way. Can I walk safely on a treadmill at 3.4 mph without doing more damage? More ice this morning! I have a feeling I won't be allowed anywhere near a treadmill today.

No comments: