Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Dry Eyes and Winds


After mom's doctor appointment yesterday, we drove to the coast and had lunch at a Taco Bell right on the ocean. Because of the high winds, the surf was even too dangerous for the fishing boats or surfers as it had wild waves, white caps and even some foam. We sat for an hour just watching the magic of nature. Afterwards, we drove down the coast and she had her first ride through the new tunnel. It was magical. She was so excited and just wanted to take it all in. The ocean and the views were fascinating all the way home. We stopped for a few minutes at our house, looked at all the damage in the gardens from the winds then I drove her home. What a great day together. We talked non-stop.

The winds continue today and should dissipate tonight. I am taking time tomorrow after yoga through Thursday to work in the gardens. After cleaning everything up, I am going to finally plant my annuals. The neighbors are due Saturday afternoon and I won't have time on the weekend to do any of the yard work.

Prednisone. Along with many problems with its long-term side effects including my liver, pancreas, thin skin, glaucoma and high cholesterol, the one that affects my daily life most is the glaucoma. I have developed a sensitivity to the preservatives in the eye medication and have very dry eyes. Twice a day, I use Refresh lubricant eye drops and especially like the extra thick gel ones for sensitive eyes. I even had to change eye medication to an expensive one - Zioptin - that is produced with no preservatives thus needs to be refrigerated. Another challenge.

No comments: