Sunday, April 21, 2013

Speeches, Clinics and Blood Tests

Got it! Mom loves it. Done.
Last January, I had a meeting in the Liver Clinic, the doctor requested labs for liver function then contacted me with the results. He wants a liver biopsy and we will be discussing it in two weeks. I have no idea what this entails and why he wants one? What is making him suspect that my liver is beginning to be fibrotic? On Tuesday, I am going to the city for a fasting blood test for the liver function, cholesterol levels and thyroid hormone levels.

During the appointment with the liver doctor, I am going to ask for a referral to the dermatology group. I need to have my freckled body checked to make sure there is no hidden cancer. The biopsy taken from my chest is healing and the stitches are due out on Friday. I have not gotten the results from the lab, yet.

One of the things I really wanted to do when I became stable was to speak to groups of people dealing with a fatal diagnosis and especially, lung disease. Last May, it was wonderful to speak at the international American Thoracic Society's annual convention. About three years earlier, I was ask to speak at a smaller conference about lung disease featuring the two university hospitals in our area. So, this coming Thursday, I have been asked to speak to a small group during the education part of the pulmonary rehab class at the local hospital. The focus of the talk will be on consistent, daily exercise and its quality of life benefits. It is what I believe.

No comments: