Sunday, May 5, 2013

Come Drive with Me!

It was sunny while I was working in the garden yesterday and just when I was finishing up, the fog blew in along with the winds. Again. It was windy all night. I couldn't believe it. This morning, I will be back picking up small twigs from the birch trees and the Camellia blossoms that have been blown all over the yard.

Around 5PM, we drove over the packed-full-of-tourists pass to the Avenue for dinner then put the top down on the car and drove home. We took my favorite way home. I made Michael promise that when I am close to death, I want him to throw me in the car and let me die on this road as it is as close to heaven on earth that I have found. It begins passing a little market and one of the most famous restaurants in the entire silicon valley because of all the deals made under its roof. It winds past huge mansions with endless horse fences. The rich and famous. After a bit, it begins an uphill that offers spectacular views of the entire Bay Area until finally it winds under a canopy of huge redwood trees. At the top, funky restaurants offer food and drinks to the hundreds of motorcycle riders who may take this road but most arrive riding the north/south ridge. It now continues straight to the other side of the mountain for the downhill. It still is a very curvy road, again through the massive redwood trees, steep cliffs off to the side, strange small almost cabins-like houses all built near a stream of water that runs through the canyon. As we descend, the land suddenly opens to reveal barns, rolling hills and larger homesteads mostly built in the 30s and 40s, there is a huge horse farm which features many horse show events yet still the road is very curvy. The air changes on our faces as the coolness from the far ocean is first felt and then smelled. The road runs through a wide canyon surrounded by hills of larger homesteads and vast open land. After passing an old market featuring everything from camping equipment to French milled soap to a full bar, it ends at the ocean. Yesterday, we listened to the Giant's baseball game during the drive home but usually we listen to soft jazz or something very quiet.

When we got home, Michael cleaned out his car as we are giving it to a mechanic friend. It needs a lot of work and is going to need two catalytic converters - very expensive. This is the car that William gave to us when he bought his new car. We have driven it on two cross country trips and Michael has used it as a pickup truck through the years but most importantly, it is the car I have been using to haul my string bass. It has been a good car.

I am going over the pass with him this morning to work out at the other rehab then we are going buy another pair of jeans and a shirt to wear to work.

So we begin another week. Food shopping tomorrow after working out at the other rehab and mom has a list of things to do. Thursday is the day I meet with the liver doctor followed by the one-hour lecture about my specific ILD that I was invited to attend. I am looking forward to talking with a few of the doctors during the refreshments afterwards. It should be an interesting week.

No comments: