Saturday, May 4, 2013

Exciting Times

I worked out at the other rehab yesterday. Due to mom's doctor appointments the last three weeks, I really have not put in my time. It felt fantastic, I did not cough at all and felt renewed afterwards. Michael needs to do some work on Sunday so I am going over the pass with him to work out again. I must get my thighs back!

There is a little store near mom which sells donated items with the proceeds going to the local Humane Society. Mom had read an article in the free local paper about a 91-year old woman who was a long-time volunteer there and she wanted to meet her. Alas, she was not working yesterday but we both bought some books and other items. I bought this bowl for $8.00.

Mom always says that we run into someone I know everywhere we go. We went to AAA to add collision to her insurance policy, waited while a woman finished with the agent and when she walked towards us I said, "You look so familiar to me. Did you graduate from high school in 1971?" She replied with my maiden name. It was her. She looked the same, had two daughters in the 20s but she clearly had an alcohol or drug issue. Then, after we had lunch on the Avenue and were walking back to the car, I ran into former parents from the school where I got sick. I loved their daughter. She was profoundly gifted, was able to get into the school in third grade and fell in love. It was a perfect school for her. She was no longer the problem students nor the smartest one in the class and she felt normal for the first time ever. She graduated from Stanford and is doing some post graduate work in Vail. I love to hear about the children who graduated from the school and what they are doing in their lives. There are no accountants! It was such a creative environment and the students were encourage to be in charge of their own learning as a life long challenge, that they are afraid of nothing, not even failing.

Michael arrived home after a busy and very hot day at work. He fired up the BBQ, cooked the Rib Eye Steak on the bone to perfection and I served it with sliced sauteed mushrooms and cole slaw. Afterwards, we sat on the new swing in the garden while he had his Friday night bourbon and talked non-stop. There was so much. He talked about his relationship with several of the workers, how he has carved out a routine that is working well, how he has been dealing with the customers and he was just full of stories from the week. The owners of the business revealed their plans for him. It is huge, waaaay out of his comfort zone but I believe he would be able to do it well. Michael told them he did not have the needed computer skills, which they dismissed as no problem. I told him that they could hire people to help fill in his holes but what they couldn't easily hire was his experience. It is invaluable. They adore him.

It is an exciting time for us. He is finishing some work for other friends then planning to spend the future weekends with just me to recoup from the busy week. He loves our Friday nights, we are going to drive down the coast in the convertible tonight, grab a light dinner somewhere and he wants to spend as much time with me on Sunday as possible. I am so proud of him doing so well as a manager, which he has avoided all of his working life.

No comments: