Wednesday, May 1, 2013

May

May 1st. Summer is coming. When I was working at the school where I got sick, I hated May. It was so long, it was the month of culminations and written evaluations, it was about budgets both the current and the next year, it was about endless meetings and when every other teachers began winding down, I was in charge of the graduation ceremonies. It was a mad dash to the bitter end. It used to take until July 4th for me to begin to relax. Every July was wonderful but the beginning of every August began the ramping up to the start date, which used to begin a week before school then changed to two weeks then two and a half weeks. I hear the staff goes back to work the second week of August now. Too soon!

May for me now? Warm days and cool nights. The garden is in bloom. No stress or pressure anymore. When I met Natalie for a walk last week, her wild end-of-year schedules so reminded me of those times and I could hear her stress. At least I only had one school to deal with, she has three! She was definitely feeling so overwhelmed.

As it is Wednesday, it is yoga hell class this morning and orchestra rehearsal this evening. The hours in between will be filled with reading while swinging in the garden and a nap. A quiet day.

Pause today. Enjoy a moment of May. Of Spring.

No comments: