Thursday, May 2, 2013

Smells of Fire

I just stepped outside to roll the large container of liquid oxygen to the side of the house for a refill today. It smelled funny. Michael came out to give the air a sniff and noticed a haze to the east. It was really windy and it smelled like a fire.

Fire.

The winds shifted during the night and the hot air from the inland valleys is now blowing onto us on the coast. The poor people in Napa County, about 100 miles north of us, have been dealing with fires for several days. They are expected to be fully contained later today. Several of the major wineries were threatened. It is amazing that we are smelling it here.

The smell will probably be very pronounced on the other side of the pass when I leave for the rehab class in two hours. This could be bad. When it is smoggy, hot, muggy or with the smells of fire, all of our saturation rates drop like rocks at rehab. I have to bring some tax papers to mom or I would cancel the class. If I were to predict, I bet Sherman and I are going to be working out alone as everyone else will stay in their houses with the windows shut.

The rehearsals for the upcoming orchestra concert went well last night. It is not ready, it may never be ready, but Gerry (the other female bass player) and I are almost there. A couple more passes and we will have it. It is just a little local orchestra, not the big fancy one with whom I used to play. I always feel relieved after a concert but there is not the satisfaction of a well done performance that I would always feel with the other group. But Michael reminds me that I am playing, which is rather a miracle in itself. I had given up performing as I just didn't have the stamina to haul the string bass into the venue, stand to play it during rehearsals and stay out late one night a week.

William leaves on tour for a week in Europe, has one day off then a three week tour of the US. He pulled a muscle in his neck during the last leg of the tour so he has been taking it easy to allow it to heal during the last three week time off. We will phone him before he leaves as it is a ritual that we connect before a tour.

I chatted with Betty a couple of hours yesterday. She has recovered from her burst appendix but my brother Chip is still dealing with pain from his broken foot. He is seeing yet another doctor. It was 91 degrees in New Mexico but they were expecting a hard frost last night. She said that they would probably have to replant their tomatoes for a third time! Just weird weather.

Michael's sister Anna wrote yesterday that she is dealing with depression from the death of their younger brother. I am going to phone her tomorrow and encourage her to get a bit of help. It's hard.

I just heard on the news that the winds here are expected to shift this afternoon, temperature will cool and the smells of a fire will disappear. I just need to get through the next few hours.

No comments: