Sunday, May 19, 2013

Spring Concert. Done.

Our dear friend Randy and one of his three children dropped by for a visit yesterday afternoon. It has been three years since I had seen their oldest son at his grandmother's funeral. Oh my, he has grown up and is in college. During the conversation, I was telling them what I learned about telomeres at the last ILD Support Group meeting, Randy thought it was fascinating but his son not only knew about them but was able to explained the whole process more clearly. Kids!

This son was born with a major heart defect and had the first of three heart surgeries when he was a toddler. I was telling them about my upcoming liver biopsy that will be done through the jugular vein. He told me that during one of the later heart surgeries, they moved the equipment up through the artery in his leg but sent the little camera down the jugular vein. He doesn't even have a scar from it.

Because of his experiences, he has always been interested in medicine. He is working towards his AA degree at the moment, which is the first requirement to becoming a certified radiologist. That is his goal: Nuclear medicine. It will take many years.

Within the hour, mom and Michael arrived. They were happy to see Randy and his son, chatted for almost another hour then they headed home while I made dinner for us. It was a quick one of fish, cole slaw and cranberries. I quickly drove to the concert venue, set up, tuned up, mom and Michael arrived, warmed up with orchestra then waited for the downbeat. I glanced over at Michael. He had his eyes closed and looked exhausted. He ended up in the back of the room so if he fell asleep, he wouldn't bother anyone! Mom sat with a couple a used to know years ago who travelled from Colorado for this concert in celebration of the orchestra's 30 years. They had fun talking together.

Gerry (the other bass player) and I both played very well. It was one of the most fun concerts I have played in a long time. Even Michael stayed awake for it! His quote of the night, "You just can't beat Haydn!"

We drove mom home and finally got into bed around 11:00. Michael just looked at me this morning and announced that he was not leaving his chair until we have to go out tonight. I think he is finally exhausted, which takes a lot for him. He has such good stamina.

I actually feel pretty good. The sun is out. The garden is in total bloom. It will be a nice day. It is a good thing as next week includes a doctor's appointment for mom, a mammogram for me, rehab, yoga, eye surgery for mom at 6:15AM on Thursday and possibly a visit with my niece for the weekend. I promise never to be bored again!

No comments: