Thursday, June 20, 2013

Cancer Incision


 Okay, maybe this is just a bit too much information but I promised to blog a photo of the incision which removed the basil cell carcinoma from my chest. It is below. It is long. The stitches are being removed on Friday afternoon. It is still tender and I felt some pulling in yoga yesterday so I understand why I was not allowed to exercise for a week. 

Please, please if you are an older adult, have a doctor look at your skin. This was a minor cancer. A less than a centimeter-sized cancer and look at the incision it took for it to be removed. We were raised in the Midwest, wearing sleeveless shirts and shorts and getting many sunburns each summer. There was no such thing as sun screen. 

Throughout William’s childhood, we made sure he never had a sunburn. A couple of years ago, we were sitting in the garden and while just chatting away, his arms were exposed and he had his first sunburn. I felt terrible! It was on my watch! 

So prepare yourself to see it. It is ugly but maybe my freckles will eventually be the camouflage.

No comments: