Saturday, June 8, 2013

Cancer Removal - Part 2

After an easy drive into the city, I found a free parking spot within seconds and arrived to the appointment 45-minutes early. The final remnants of the basil cell carcinoma was to be finally removed from my chest just south of my collarbone. Apparently, my local doctor didn't go deep enough when she removed the rest of the cancer two months ago. The two doctors asked final questions, introduced me to a senior fellow who was going to do the actual supervised removal and we began.

They asked me move my arms and watched how my skin and muscles moved in order to decide where to cut. I ended up with a HUGE, deep incision. It is covered by a large bandage but I will take a photo of the incision for tomorrow's blog as they want it covered for 24 hours. I have a bag of frozen peas sitting on it right now because it is a bit sore.

It was a bigger deal than what I expected. I think the incision is 4-5 inches long. I quit counting the internal and external stitches when it hit thirty. Thankfully, most are internal and will dissolve but they did something interesting. There will be no "tracks" from the stitches when it is healed. It reminded me of a hem stitch I learned in home economics in high school. A slip stitch. There are only a couple of loops on the ends, which looks rather odd but it will leave a less noticeable scar.

The big news is that I am not allowed to exercise for a week. Initially, they said three weeks but I told them I needed to move for my lungs. I cannot do anything that will increase my blood pressure or lift anything that could hurt the tiny internal stitches. No gardening. No food shopping. No nothing. As a joke, I told Michael that I couldn't even lift a pan so we had to go to dinner last night! We had a lovely dinner in town, I have leftovers for today and I am not going to leave the house. This morning, he is going to a major car show about two hours away with Ricky but will be home around 4:00 this afternoon. A few of his cars are in the show.

Me? The sun is shining and I can be found later today on the covered swing in the garden with a good book.

No comments: