Friday, June 21, 2013

First Step

I love when I am the conduit between people. Mom's cardiac surgeon and I were talking music during her appointment weeks ago. He has been a classical pianist for over ten years and wanted to begin to study jazz. Not as easy as it sounds. I have found that people who have classical piano under their belts have a much deeper level of understanding when they learn jazz. He asked me if I could recommend a jazz piano teacher.

My very cool glaucoma doctor was just beginning jazz piano lessons when I met him almost seven years ago. Since then, he has worked hard, has become professional and actually earns money playing on the weekends. I am so proud of him! He gives credit to much of his success to his first jazz piano teacher. So, earlier this week I phoned his office to ask for a referral for mom's fancy cardiac surgeon.

Dr. W. returned my call early Tuesday morning with the name and contact information of his former teacher and was thrilled that another physician is beginning the journey.

At mom's pre-op appointment yesterday to sign all the papers have the new, smaller pacemaker/defibrillator implanted next week, I passed the teacher's name and number to him. That brought on another full conversation amongst the three other people in the room regarding music, the brain and the correlation between musicians and physicians.

So now it is up to him. It is often scary to begin at the beginning. I so admire when people take that first step.

No comments: