Saturday, June 1, 2013

Welcome to the Coast

We love mom's eye surgeon and laughed when we discovered mom was his only patient yesterday. He scheduled extra time so we could talk. He and his wife are new to the Bay Area from Manhattan, miss their families, have two very young boys and just bought a house, which closes within the month. Among other things, we talked about the summer weather patterns here - three days of hot weather then the fog comes in - when I mentioned that today was going to be spectacular on the coast. His eyes lit up.

I told him about our planned road trip along the ridge tonight and mentioned that he could do my favorite ride up through the redwoods then all the way past the foothill to the coast. It would be less than an hour from his home, there would be far less traffic than other coastal accesses and they could go to the goat farm! Baby goats! Award winning goat cheese free samples! Llama guards for the baby goats! What little boys wouldn't like to climb into a small area and pet a baby goat? Then, I told him about our favorite dive near the goat farm. Artichoke soup and freshly baked sour dough French bread! Crab sandwichs! And pie. The best fruit pies ever.

He kept writing things on his iPhone as I spoke.

Then, when I mentioned that they could swing by a beach on their way back to the pass and just let the boys run, I hit pay dirt! These beaches have streams that flow to the ocean and there are lots of sticks and cool things to play with away from the roaring waves. Very safe for young children. And what boys don't like a stick?

"They would nap on the way home!" he said with glee.

So while I am working in the garden today, I will be thinking of a family new to the area experiencing that glorious drive through the California redwoods, touching new baby goats, tasting fresh goat cheese, eating fantastic crab and artichoke soup, the boys running on a beach and a family enjoying being together.

My work here is done.

No comments: