Tuesday, June 25, 2013

What is that Smell?

Mom's pre-op went very well yesterday and the surgery to install her pacemaker/defibrillator is this morning. We have to be at the hospital at 9:45 and she should be out of recovery by 6 this evening. She will be spending the night. I probably won't be home until after 9:00. It is going to be a long day and we are both confident that all will go well.

I do have a funny story. After getting dressed to workout at the other rehab yesterday, I got into the car and began to smell something familiar. It took a few minutes to realize that it was the aroma of grilling onions. Apparently, when the Vietnamese food was cooking in the middle of the table the night before, the pants I was wearing picked up the odor of the grilling onions. Yesterday morning, I was wearing those same pants to rehab.

Too late to turn back, I kept going. During rehab, a man I know was beside me working out on another bike. After a couple of minutes together, I asked if I smelled of grilled onions. He said that he had not wanted to embarrass me but, yes I did smell. I told him the story, we laughed and when he finished, he mentioned that he suddenly had the urge for French Onion Soup for lunch!

I warned mom as she welcomed me. Yes, she smelled it. We made jokes about it all morning. Finally, I found myself in a small room with an anesthesiologist. Shall I say something? I decided it was better to mention it. Yes, she could smell it and she was pregnant! I was hoping it wouldn't cause her to be ill! We all laughed again.

While the onions were cooking, I mentioned that there should be a perfume of grilled onions as every man would follow the scent! Wrong! After awhile, even I who loves the smell, had enough. I immediately washed the pants when I got home!

No comments: