Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Oliver's 3rd Birthday

Shortly after I first got sick and was no longer able to work, Natalie took a year's leave when Winnie was born. Their apartment was very close to my university hospital and often I would swing by for a couple of hours before my appointments. I would hold Winnie while Natalie took a shower or cleaned the house. It was the only place where my illness was not a focus. The beautiful little baby in my arms would remind me that life would continue and it was good. She saved me mentally. I would arrive to their place worried or anxious facing another difficult doctor's appointment and leave with joy in my heart.

I feel my heart is full again. Spending a few hours with Winnie and Oliver yesterday reminded me about the joys of life and the simple things: we all had to stop and watch as Winnie spotted a butterfly in the garden and the huge smile on Oliver's face when he spotted a blue plastic Easter egg also in the garden, to name just two. It was magical.

When they arrived, Oliver pointed at his wrapped birthday presents right away. Maybe it was the CARS wrapping paper that gave him a hint! He opened them quickly. I found a yellow Mustang remote control car for 3-year olds, his first ever. He was enchanted. He clutched it and referred to it as his big car. I think he may even have slept with it last night! Then he opened the very pliable race track that included two very fast cars. Winnie knew how to put it together and they must have played with it for an hour.

For lunch, Winnie wrap the mini hot dogs into crescent rolls and I served them with corn chip. Oliver ate four mini hot dogs! They loved the rich brownies and, thankfully, took all the leftovers home with them. After lunch, we walked to the park where Oliver fell down and hit his head. Back home, a little ice and a bandage later, he played with his Mustang in the garden while Winnie watered the yard with a hose. They had a ball and both were a bit wet! Finally, it was time for them to go. Natalie texted that Oliver was asleep within minutes. I wore out a 3-year old!

They fly to Chicago today to be with their Grandma for two weeks. She is a marvelous woman and a newly retired teacher. She will keep them hopping and give Natalie a much needed break.

After cleaning up, I did the wash and was able to take an hour nap.

Before the yoga hell class this morning, I am going to phone mom to make sure she is feeling well and will probably run over the hill afterwards just to be sure!

No comments: