Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Inspirational - Twitch, Twitch


I am going into the day with a bit of trepidation. An hour ride over a bridge, a lunch and a conversation.  Most of us are uncomfortable when labeled and I am really uncomfortable when someone says I am "inspirational." Makes me itch and twitch. I am just trying to keep going, live a good life and enjoy the last years with my family. But today, I have been invited to lunch so I can be given something by someone who says I am her "inspiration." (twitch, twitch)

I am touched that anyone would go out of their way to think of me or honor me in anyway but I don't feel worthy of the attention or even the label. It will be good to see this woman as we haven't seen each other in many years and have a good chat. Expect a report tomorrow.

But my real trepidation is saved for tomorrow. I am having a liver sonogram. I got a report back from a blood test that I really don't understand but it looked terrifying to my untrained eye. It may explain why I am so tired and not feeling full of vim and vigor. It will all become clear when I meet with the liver doctor in September.

Mom's 85th birthday is coming up in almost 10 days. Jill had a lei made for Ian to wear at the graduation ceremonies and I thought it would be a nice touch to have one made for mom. After lunch today, I am going to order one that is appropriate for her small stature and not so huge and overwhelming. What else does she need? She has three closets full of clothing (she is obsessed) and she really doesn't have the space or need for much. So, we are giving her Maeve Binchy's final book along with gift cards for her beloved Starbucks (tall, extra-hot, non-fat Chai with sprinkles), McDonald's (hamburger with catsup and onions after volunteering at the local library every Wednesday) and Home Depot (where she spends a lot of time and money each week). Lee, Jeff and Shelley are driving down from the Sacramento area to have an early dinner in the city to celebrate the event.

No comments: