Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Recipes for the Week for Those of Us on Prednisone Therapy

I haven't passed along any menus for the week or recipes lately. For those of us on prednisone, it is important to eat a diet featuring non-starchy vegetables and lean protein, avoiding anything that processes into sugars (milk, yogurt, grains, squash, corn, etc.). As a cook, that has not been too limiting and I have found very satisfying foods. The goal is 1,400 calories a day to maintain or 1,200 calories if I need to lose a pound or two.

Hanger Steak with Shallots
Yesterday, I went by the butcher then took mom to the eye doctor, had lunch at Nordstroms then Trader Joe's. Well, I forgot the meat in mom's refrigerator, there was really no other food in the house so I phoned Michael to swing by after work to grab it for me. It worked but we ate dinner later than usual. It was worth it. There was moaning going on. I had everything ready to make the Hanger Steaks with Shallots once he hit the door with the meat. It made quite a mess but it was really good. I always cook enough for two dinners (3-4 ozs. per serving) and I made Michael some corn on the cob to go with it. He was one happy guy.

Hanger Steaks with Shallots:  I used two steaks instead of four and served one for both of us per night. Also, I did not use the butter and it was fine.
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/hanger_steak_with_shallots/

Chile Chicken Monterey: I will serve two chicken breast cut lengthwise, which will make 1/2 chicken breast per serving. Light cheese, or my mom used soy cheese, can be used.
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/chile_chicken_monterey.html

Five Spice Pork with Asian Slaw: It states it makes 2 servings but we use it for 4 servings. I use low fat mayonnaise.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/09/chinese-five-spice-pork-with-asian-slaw-recipe.html?ref=box_quick

Happy cooking!

No comments: