Friday, October 4, 2013

Aspiration and Jubilation

Mom is recovering but is not out of the woods yet. Another shot in the butt and another round of antibiotics will hold her until Saturday when she is scheduled for another shot. On Monday, we are going to the clinic at her university hospital for additional treatments. I picked up groceries and medications for her and we shared a lunch together before I headed home.

Earlier this week, I worked in the garden and needed to rehydrate. Sitting in my chair, looking at my laptop, I took a good, long, swig from my water bottle and suddenly, I could feel it going into my lungs. The coughing began. I leaned over to allow the water to hit the floor and coughed hard trying to get the rest out of my lungs. The coughing continued to where I was short of breath. Suddenly, the phone rang. It was Michael. I couldn't talk. After a few minutes trying to recover, I got up and grabbed my oxygen. It took time to get my breath back. And I was still coughing.

I began another round of antibiotics that day. Having aspirated before, I always get bronchitis after such  an event and I REALLY don't need another hit to my lungs, just as I am recovering.

As I was spewing water, it hit my laptop, which I realized after my breathing was back under control. Quickly, I wiped it down but...it didn't look good. I waited then tried to get online - it kept searching either eeeeeeeeee or yyyyyyyyy and the space bar wouldn't work. With computer wipes, I cleaned the keys and the screen and let it sit opened for a bit. Still a problem. I restarted it. A bit better. I made an appointment on Saturday for help with a Genius. I closed the computer and let it sit.

When Michael got home, I was showing him the problems when suddenly, the space bar worked, I could search the web, I could reply to emails, it appeared fine! I awoke the next morning with hope and yes, I cancelled the Genius appointment yesterday. It is fine. It has recovered. I am so very grateful and dancing with joy!

No comments: