Wednesday, October 2, 2013

More Pneumonia

All my plans went up in smoke yesterday. Around 8AM, I phoned mom to ask how she was doing. She felt and sounded horrible, so horrible, in fact, that she was not strong enough to drive to her university hospital. She would not allow me to drive her as she was sure she was contagious. We planned to meet at an Immediate Care place near her but she wanted to wait until it was probably not as crowded - 11:00. That gave me time to run down to buy Michael's two bottles of Alchemist bourbon before arriving at our meeting place. It was empty when I arrived a bit early!

While waiting for her, two more people arrived. Finally, she was there. She looked fantastic (hair, makeup and beautifully dressed) but very thin and weak. I was grateful that I had brought my oxygen and a mask as I was sure she had pneumonia. The cough was familiar to my ear. I do not want to get it again.

We waited a bit, got caught up on a lot of news and finally went in to see the doctor. She was marvelous, personally knows mom's primary doctor, asked questions, put on a wearing a mask when she saw mine, listened to her lungs and pronounced that yes, mom did have pneumonia.

They gave her a shot in the butt (I think it was a steroid as her breathing became so much better) and prescriptions for antibiotics and an inhaler. They want to see her again on Thursday.

She followed me back towards her home then I went to Walgreens to pick up her prescriptions and Five Guys and Fries to entice her with a hot dog and a diet coke. She said it tasted marvelous! We ate together on her front patio, lots of people walked by and chatted and we enjoying sitting outside in the beautiful weather. Finally around 3:30, I headed home.

I did text Lee and Chip about mom and Chip wondered if we needed to hire a nurse. I love my brother! As mom is still functioning, I don't think she needs it yet. She was talking about going to the grocery store today until I reminded her that she was still contagious until Friday, according to the doctor. I told her to make a list of what she needed and I would buy it all on Thursday.

It was a big day for me. I was exhausted!

Today, I was going to yoga but have decided against it. I need to run into town then I am going to weed and trim the side yard near Ron and Susan. Oh, and cook dinner. Nothing else.

No comments: