Sunday, October 27, 2013

Out In the Evening Air

My baby's back home! We picked up the computer last evening before enjoying a nice dinner together. It has been months since we have spent fun time out into the world in the evening. It was marvelous. We went to the Avenue, walked to a store for Michael then down to the Apple Store. It was packed.

I found a guy in a blue shirt, told him we were there to pick up my laptop when a woman standing just across from me said, "Me, too!" He took our names, Michael went to look around so she and I began to talk.

We had given our names, I commented that she had a great name. She thanked me, I told her my boring maiden name then said, "Then 40-years ago, I married that man (pointing to Michael) and told him that if we ever divorced, I was keeping his name. I just love it." I discovered that she was there to actually pick up a hard drive for her job at a child photography business. A fancy, high end one. We talked about how being a photographer for a living was not her original intent as she had gone to school for child psychology. Perfect combination! She asked what Michael did for a living.

Now, as you know dear reader, I have been banned from talking (bragging) about my husband and son. Each is successful and highly regarded in their fields. They would rather sink into the background. No spotlight for them!

So, I told her that the ban was in place regarding my husband and son but quietly mentioned a bit about Michael. Just after she asked what our son did, the computer and her hard drive arrived.

They asked for a photo I.D. from both of us. I told them I could vouch for her and she for me as we were both reaching for our licences. Everyone laughed. As I opened my computer to see if it really worked, there was my wallpaper which was a photo of William working at a famous local venue while the big group was on stage. I showed it to my new best friend. She knew the group and her eyes got really big. "How long has he been with them?" My reply, "Ten years."

Business began to happen, like how was I going to pay for this, so she and I looked at each other, hugged and she took off.

Women of any age can connect anywhere. Any time.

We walked back to the car, went to our most favorite Greek place which is closed on Sundays so we haven't been there forever, and enjoyed a nice dinner. Talking. Laughing. Telling stories.

It was cool but not really cold when we got home so we lit the fire pot, sat on the swing in the garden and talked some more until 9:00. It was a lovely afternoon and evening. I am still recovering from the last two months of illnesses but I felt good and normal and relaxed last evening. It was a relief to realize that I have not had any permanent damage from the crash and that my life can return to normal once again. I am so thankful.

No comments: