Sunday, October 13, 2013

Sunday Morning Coffee, Formula 1 and Medical Test Memories

The Formula 1 Grand Prix from Japan is on right now - on DVR - and it should be a good race. Lots of room for passing. Vettel is having brake problems so he might not finish, which would be a big deal in the driver's standings. My buddy Grosjean is leading the race, at the moment.

I love these mornings, just the two of us and a pot of coffee. We are staying home today. I have two things on my to-do list for Michael: removing a rosemary plant in the front yard which is getting too big and drilling some holes for chemicals in the stump of the tree causing me such a mess in the yards. Not too bad. It should not take much time.

Having a properly working cannula last night made a huge difference as I slept the night through without moving. I feel rested this morning.

When I met Dr. K. in May of 2005, she ran me through a lot of tests: exercise test to see if I needed oxygen, sleep test to see if I had sleep apnea or needed oxygen at night, a series of tests for GERD. She also was the first person to mention pulmonary rehab. I had been diagnosed for five months before she arrived at my university hospital and not one doctor ever mentioned rehab to me.

Years later, as I got to know others in my ILD Support Group, I was shocked when hearing their stories of the doctors not wanted to do these tests as there was "no indication." I had no indication of GERD yet it was so bad that I ended up with a Nissen Fundoplication, a surgery that she also told me I was going to have. I am so grateful that Dr. K. took over my case when she noticed I was not being managed well by the young doctor. He was gone shortly after she arrived, by the way. He was not good.

No comments: