Sunday, October 6, 2013

Too Much Sun



I worked in the gardens for three hours yesterday. Besides picking up the debris from the massive winds, I cut the grass and trimmed the huge Burmese Trumpet Vine. I took the garden back from the destructive forces of nature. 

We are fortunate to live in the only area of the country with a Mediterranean-type climate. It doesn't get too hot. It doesn't get too cold. It is perfect for my lungs as heat really reduces the function. When it is warmer than normal, it usually lasts three days before the fog arrives to cool us all down.

It is hot here on the coast right now. It is 85 degrees hot. I am miserable. Houses in our entire region do not have air conditioning. No need. Once or twice a year we have a few days of hot weather but when in the middle of it, I dream of cool air. It was difficult to sleep last night. We both tossed and turned. 

And since we live so close to the ocean, we experience a massive influx of tourists. It is impossible to get into town over the pass in under 90-minutes for a 10-minute drive. Traffic on Highway 1 heading into town is stopped. Thousands arrive, and then later in the day, thousands leave. 

Michael needs to drive over the pass this morning. Easy. It is the coming home that will be a challenge. I am planning to run into town for groceries as soon as he leaves then hunker down the rest of the day. My plan is to read a bit on the swing, water and rest. It is supposed to be hotter today.

Fog is forecasted for Tuesday.

No comments: