Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Birthday First But Christmas is A'Comin'

I just saw my first Christmas commercial on TV - to Disneyland. Oh my. I am so not mentally ready for the holidays. Mom sent her Christmas checks to each of us last week. Every year, we shop for our own gifts, wrap them and then open them in front of her on Christmas day. Everything fits perfectly and we all get exactly what we want. Michael and I begin making our lists around Thanksgiving, negotiate which items we want to buy together, figure out where to buy each item then take one whole day Christmas week to buy everything. The only way I can get Michael to shop all day is to promise a nice lunch with a cocktail involved.

But, today's focus is me! We are going to the #2 restaurant in the country for dinner tonight in celebration of my 60th birthday this weekend. It is going to be a late night! We reviewed the menu online last night and plotted our drive clear across the city. It should take an hour to drive there, hopefully! My to-do list is long today: remove the hair from my face, touch up my toe nails (I still have scabs from where the precancerous spots were frozen so I can't have a pedicure yet), pick out my outfit, withdrawal some money at the bank, get the big fancy ring out of the bank vault, go food shopping at Safeway, take a nap and be ready for Michael when he screams home, quickly changes his clothes so we can be on the road by 5:45 for 8:00 reservations. He wants to have time to settle in, have a drink at the beautiful bar before the dinner and just enjoy being in the city together.

My 60th birthday. Years ago when I was diagnosed, I told Michael that my goal was to celebrate our 40th Anniversary together. That was last September. My new goal is to be together for our 50th. Never did I every expect to still be alive ten years after feeling the effects of Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis. Ten years. I thought I would be living on supplemental oxygen 24/7, horribly fat due to the prednisone therapy and miserable being confined to my home. Here I am: the fittest I have ever been in my life, supplemental oxygen just needed to workout and sleep, happy, out in the world and living well despite having a fatal diagnosis. Tonight will be a celebration of still being alive. And living well.

No comments: