Friday, November 1, 2013

Halloween

It was a very long day. It was so overstimulating that sleep didn't come easily last night. I did the required two-hour exercise test to meet the Medicare standards for supplemental oxygen, which was a lot of work! I was done but it was just the beginning of the day. Since my appointment with Dr. K. was six and a half hours later, I went for a walk to waste some time. It was a long walk past stores and restaurants in Natalie's old neighborhood. After wandered through Golden Gate Park, I walked back to one of our favorite restaurants for lunch and messaged a photo to Natalie, who became nostalgic about all the time we spent there together before and after Winnie was born. After an hour, I started the long uphill walk back to the hospital campus.

 I love old churches. The smell and the light streaming through the stained-glass windows and the feeling of peace in old churches brings me calmness and comfort. On a corner surrounded by homes, there suddenly appeared a very small neighborhood church. It was intriguing. The door was opened so I went it to investigate. There were about ten people there, I sat in the back and was just ready to leave when suddenly, a Capuchin priest came out to the front and began a Mass. Since being sick, I have not been able to attend Mass because of the possible exposure to illness by the surrounding people. But, there were now about twenty people present, no one was coughing, so I stayed. It felt marvelous. I even went to Communion. Afterwards, I asked an older woman about the church, she told me it was built in 1919 and used to be a Lutheran church. There was renewed lightness in my step as I worked my way up the next several blocks.

Sitting in a food court looking onto the street in front of the big hospital, I watched all the Halloween costumes and had a few conversations while having a diet coke. A father, who's 2-month old son had just been admitted from the Reno area, sat next to me to eat his lunch. His wife was with their baby, he was eating quickly so she could break away for some food, too. I tried to engage him in funny and interesting conversation so he could relax from his major worries for a few minutes. We hugged before he left. I think I helped just a little bit. Working my way to Dr. K.'s building, I read for another hour before arriving to the appointment an hour early.

Finally, we met to review my pulmonary function tests, exercise test results, issues with a prescription, notification of having a flu shot and information that I had twenty precancerous spots frozen off my arms and legs. After listening to my lungs, she mentioned that I was going to need lung transplants. I replied that I was surprised that we had been able to put them off for so long but, in my heart, I am not ready. I am not sick enough but after this last crash, I now realize they could be needed any time. It will come after a quick downturn then the process will begin. Scary.

Winnie, Oliver and Natalie arrived to the house just about the same time I arrived home from the city! Batman and Japanese dressed girl (Winnie has been learning to read and speak Japanese) had a piece of the cake and ate some candy from their goodie bags before Ethan arrive and the entire family went out to trick-or-treat together. Michael was so entranced by the kids, he took photos and videos. They are hilarious and whip-smart. After they left, I fell into bed and twitched my way to a restless sleep. It is going to be another long day today. Mom and I have a long list of what we need to do plus a doctor's appointment for her. My plans for the weekend? Nothing. Simply nothing.

No comments: