Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Pneumonia for Christmas

It was what I feared. I have pneumonia in my lower left lobe along with a lovely fever. The local doctor was able to see me yesterday afternoon but I will be contacting Dr. K. to give her the news.

I knew it might be bad when I rolled the garbage cans up the driveway right before the appointment and noticed I was very short of breath. I checked my saturation rate and it was 88%. I normally would not desaturate during that task.

After listening to my lungs, she asked how I was feeling. Flu-like symptoms? Generally not feeling well? I really didn't feel badly but just tired from all of our late nights with William. Apparently, had I answered that I didn't feel well, she would have admitted me into the hospital immediately. Dodged that bullet. I am so happy not to spend Christmas in a hospital.

All the plans will change for today. Michael and William will take my mom to Christmas Eve lunch while I stay home. This evening, they will head to our friends who own a fishing fleet in Alaska for a Christmas cocktail before walking over to Ron and Susan's next door for a sip of champagne with them. Ron's daughters will be there for the evening and Ron invited us after looking up to the ceiling at William when we were at the other neighbor's house. He had not remembered how tall William was and I think he might be playing a bit of matchmaking! His daughters are both younger than William, gorgeous, one just passed the bar and the other is taking her LSATs after teaching in lower income schools for the past three years (Americares). It should be interesting. I wish I could be there to watch it all unfold.

And my plans? I will get dressed. That's about it. I want to save all my stamina for Christmas Day.

No comments: