Friday, December 13, 2013

Shopping and Medicare Problem - Done

We shopped until we dropped last night. We are ALMOST finished. Mom and I will be at Stanford Shopping Center today for the final few gifts for my sister, my brother and me. On our way home, Michael had arranged for us to swing by Mark and Brook's house for a cocktail (Michael car pools with Mark). We didn't get there until the expected 8:00 and were so surprised at all of their work. The two kids were adorable, their rooms sparkling, appetizers, pasta and a pie along with cocktails were waiting for us. We stayed an hour. This young couple has been married for seven years, worked hard to create a beautiful home and gardens and have two adorable children. Very focused. Very driven. Extremely nice.

I think I talked non-stop yesterday. It began with the Medicare problem. My hospital stay in September still has not been paid due to the Worker's Comp Medicare Set Aside. The problem is the Set Aside is very specific to what it is to cover and a hospital stay in not on the list. I phoned the collector, they sent me to Medicare. Again, I love talking with Medicare. They are the kindness people.

Well, Joy and I had a chat. She started off being a bit brusk and said she needed to take a moment to read the file. There was a bit of silence and I said, "Can you smell this where you are? I am cooking bacon and it smells divine." All the sudden I heard, "Bacon. I love bacon." Then she asked, "Why are you cooking bacon?" I told her Michael needs protein in the morning and I was baking a whole pound of peppered bacon. She moaned. We both started laughing.

She then asked about our little town, the prices of rental properties and the weather. She was in Arizona, which is beautiful except if it is summer. It is tooooo hot. Then she told me she figured out my problem: The coding number of my diagnosis on the hospital bill was the same as on the Set Aside. The computer will kick it back every time. She said to call my university hospital and tell them to change the diagnostic code on the bill, resubmit it and it will be paid. She also said there is a second code that also should not be on the bill and gave me both code numbers. Amazing.

I called the woman who sent me the email about the second denial of the bill the day before and told her what I discovered. Done. Thank you, dear Joy.

Then, I climbed back into bed and slept for almost two hours. I woke up stupid! It took a bit to get going. After dressing and flying into town for a few things, I chatted an hour with Anna then an hour with Mary then it was time to meet Michael at his work for the shopping to begin. It was a really fun day.

No comments: