Sunday, December 22, 2013

Wild Times

For the first time ever, I think I will exit the holiday season a few pounds lighter. We have been so busy and my food choices have been so good that my clothes are looser. What a great feeling.

Yesterday, I ate very little for breakfast, less than normal for lunch and dinner was light. We met up with British Don after spending two hours with our neighbor's Rick, Natalie and Melanie. It brought back so many memories as Melanie was talking about the whole college application process. She is ready to fly. They celebrated our birthdays and anniversary as we never got together because Natalie has been slammed getting a degree to teach nursing, which has been grueling. It was fun to get caught up with their lives last night.

One of the five restaurants owned by our friends is Pepito's, which is tiny but the food is marvelous. They serve three different choices of housemade salsas and chips. The tacos are tiny but packed will flavor. They are wrapped in two very small corn tortillas, served two per plate. William and I had one with duck confit carnitas, homemade pickles, mint, chipotle tamarind sauce and the other with marinated pork shoulder, roasted pineapple, onions, cilantro and salsa verde. Yum. He also had shrimp ceviche and some of Michael's duck confit quesadillas. He was very happy. Afterwards, we drove to a wine bar near Pac Bell Park that was very SF with high ceilings and exposed old brick. We sat for a couple of hours and listened while Don and William entertained us. It was very fun. Since I don't drink, I was the designated driver for the drive back down the coast. We fell into bed at 1AM.

I did notice that I am coughing again. The plan is to ask the local doctor to listen to my lungs on Monday. But, today - it is going to be a wild ride. We have three plans but no time. The owners of the restaurant on the ocean invited us to their ranch with its authentic log cabin home, which is of huge interest to William. We also have arranged to meet a friend of Michael's who is a major dealer of home sound equipment. William has a list of equipment he wants to buy. Finally, mom is due for dinner. We told her we would be at her home around 3PM, drive to the coast, hang out, have dinner then drive her back home later this evening. It is going to be another long but fun day.

This morning, I need to wrap some presents, put a few things away and generally pull the house together for her visit. It always warms my heart when she and William are together. They have such a nice relationship. I will stumble on them, with their heads together, having a fun conversation and laughing and I notice a sparkle in both of their eyes. It always makes my heart sing.

No comments: