Saturday, February 8, 2014

Diet Lunch Out in the World

The last time I was on the liquid diet (for three months), I refused to be in any social settings like parties or dinners or even lunch out with friends. Just couldn't deal with it. This time around, there is a difference out of need: my mom. She will not eat out alone and so looked forward to our twice a week or more lunches together. We always stayed chatting over our empty plates for at least an hour. Mom has an issue with not eating enough. During our lunches, I am often amazed at how much she will eat if the conversation is good and she is enjoying herself.

Just because I cannot eat, I did not want these lunches to end. I had to adjust. To my surprise, it has been rather easy. We went to Nordstroms for lunch yesterday. I brought a chocolate pudding thing with me as part of the diet and ordered a nice unsweetened iced tea. Mom enjoyed a bowl of their tomato basil soup and a small turkey sandwich. She ate every bit. We sat and talked and waved at all the children and talked to a grandma visiting from Ireland and looked at all the pretty women wearing lovely clothing and our favorite waiters fawned over mom, as usual. I hardly missed the food.

The diet food is disgusting and I hate it while I am drinking or eating it but afterwards, I love the feeling. I am never hungry, I feel strong and I swear I have lost several pounds during the first week. I don't want to weigh myself before seeing the doctor on February 26, almost a month into the diet. I want to feel the joy of looking at the surprise number, quickly doing the math then dancing when I hear the number of pounds I have lost.

My other challenge this time around, is cooking for Michael. Last time, it took a month of staying out of the room while he would cook his own dinners before I was able to cook for him. I am having no problems this time. I did make the lasagna for him this week, something I had not made in a decade. Tomorrow, I will serve panko covered fresh Alaskan cod with a side of gnocchi with pesto for a special treat. He has requested enchiladas next week, something that I haven't made in maybe fifteen years. My goal is that if I have to go on this diet again, he will be thrilled as he will have special foods that we don't include in our diet anymore. His skinny, non-prednisone body can take it.

So, I am doing fine. I hate all the food except the protein bars, my treat I save for the last meal of the day. The results will be worth the effort.

No comments: