Saturday, February 1, 2014

Parking Karma

It was a great parking karma day yesterday! Mom and I made our way into the city on a nasty freeway. If you ever fly into San Francisco, you will be on this freeway. The city is hidden from view until the middle of this one sweeping turn, then it is reveled in all of its glory. It is magical. The road is slightly banked, which makes the city look like the buildings are leaning. My dad used to tell us that because of all the earthquakes, the city was tilted. We, of course, believed every word he said!

We weaved our way to the Golden Gate Bridge exit and sat in the expected traffic for a bit. It was not too bad and it allowed mom, a well trained docent at a Victorian mansion, to look at all the buildings from that era and she even spotted some built during the Civil War! We snaked our way onto Webster Street (very close to the famous Painted Ladies) to the hospital. I showed her where I usually find my free street parking but even more streets were now closed for construction or road repair. No street parking anywhere. We went around the block twice then another block a couple of times before making a decision to work our way back to the front of the hospital for valet parking. Twelve dollar valet parking. It took a bit of work to get to the front of the hospital. When I turned right to drive just a few more feet to the entrance, a woman was getting into her car in a disability parking spot at the curb. Free parking! We were so excited and as I stepped out of the car, I noticed a dime stuck in a crack in the road. A dime. A dime from heaven. There is a story around the Internet about found dimes are from people who have died. I showed it to mom and we both couldn't believe it! Smiles all around!

After a stop at Starbucks, we arrived on time to the appointment with Mr. B. who was happy to see me. We reviewed the diet, made other appointments to see him, ordered the food via cell phone from the lobby, jumped back into the car then wove our way through the city, past the private University of San Francisco sitting high on a hill, down to the old Kezar Stadium then I was working my way back up a hill to my hospital. I was prepared to valet park the car (the first hour is free at this campus) but it takes time and some waiting to make it happen so I thought I would roll the dice. The parking gods seemed to be with us, so I thought I would try to park in the 15-minute waiting area just in front of the hospital. There are only about eight spaces and usually filled. Just as I was pulling in, a car was leaving. The gods were with us again! We hustled up to the second floor, grabbed the bags filled with the protein bars and the makings for the liquid diet and ran back down to the car. We made it! I drove mom the pretty way home, we had our final lunch together at Mimi's Cafe, did a run through Target and after dropping her off at her house, I arrived home at 3:00. A very successful, easy, exciting, fun day. Mom loved it.

Michael and I finished the leftovers of the Lamb Stew for dinner. My last dinner.

This morning, I just finished eating the oatmeal from the diet. It kind of tasted like oatmeal but...you can taste the supplements. I will have a shake for lunch, a chocolate pudding for snack and a protein bar for dinner for a total of 800 calories. Oh, and did I mention that there I will be playing with the orchestra tonight? What a day!

No comments: