Monday, February 3, 2014

The Diet Begins

I will not bore you, dear reader, with daily diet updates but I thought it might be interesting to know exactly what is involved. It has been going well, so far. I am never hungry. But, I am so very cold, which went away after a few days last time I did this diet three years ago. Shaking cold. On Saturday, I found relief by running hot water over my hands. Michael made a Nespresso decaf on Sunday, which warmed my core for a bit. I am a person who has always run hot, every since childhood. I do not own a heavy coat. Never needed one! I rarely wear sweaters and tend to peal off layers throughout the day. Yesterday, while watching the Superbowl, I was wearing a heavy sweater, my very heavy bathrobe was draped around my shoulders, then I was covered by a blanket, yet I was still shaking.

A lot of the problem is that the diet can cause dehydration, so I must drink 12 glasses of water a day. Well, we filter our water and I don't like it out on the counter, so the pitcher lives in the refrigerator. It is very cold water. But, I noticed that even when I drank a bottle of water stored the garage, I still got cold. I think it is my body adjusting to 800 calories a day.

I can mix the meal options throughout the day, so an example of the diet is:
8:00 - Milk Shake - I have a choice of strawberry or vanilla. In a blender, ice is added along with something else. I am using diet root beer with vanilla or diet 7UP with the strawberry.
11:30 - Oatmeal - Two scoops plus hot water. I found the last time that I was able to get it down by letting it get cold. I also add fake sugar and cinnamon.
3:00 - Chocolate or Mocha Shake/Pudding - I like it cold so it sets up like a pudding instead of a milk shake.
6:30 - Protein Bar - My treat of the day! I love them. They are my reward for being on the diet. I have an option of nine different flavors, all delicious.

Just a reminder that this is a diet for those of us on longtime prednisone therapy. We do not process food correctly so it is nearly impossible to lose weight. I lost 10 pounds a month last time and hope to continue at that rate again. After the month on this plan, it will take another two weeks of supplements while one meal of real food is added each week. This allowed me to lose another 5 pounds during that transition last time. Fifteen pounds would be great. Part of me wants to continue another two weeks on the diet just to really get under where I want to be while I am on the diet anyway. What's another two weeks? I can do it. We'll see.

No comments: