Tuesday, March 11, 2014

A Day Off to Recover

I am staying home all day today. That is a rare event. We met British Don for dinner last night at a German restaurant in the city. They had amazing beer, pretzel appetizers, a platter each of two sausages (including wild boar and duck with fig) with potato salad, sauerkraut and spaetzle with cheese. I had a chicken sausage and a cup of sauerkraut.

What was so satisfying for me was that the first time I lost 60 pounds on this same liquid diet three years ago, I could not be around other food, restaurants, people eating, food photos or smell food cooking. This time, I sat with mom while she had nice lunches in restaurants and I went to dinner last night, surrounded by food I really should not eat at this time and it was fine. I was feeling so thin and breathing so well that I really didn't care.

I am looking forward to stepping on the scale at the Weight Management Clinic's doctor appointment in a week. It should be a breakthrough: the lightest I have been since 1989. Fingers crossed.

While I am home today, I am first going back to bed for at least an hour then I have a list of things that need attention: my laundry, ironing, sorting out the cabinet where the spices live, organizing the pantry, paperwork since the first of the year needs filing, calling DirecTV to send back two boxes, cleaning the front guest room closet, sitting in the garden with a book and maybe a short walk along the ocean. It is supposed to be 71 degrees here on the coast today.

What I am not going to do today: attend the ILD Support Group meeting or the pulmonary rehab class. I will try not to feel guilty about it. I am tired from being out late last night and I just don't want to get sick. I need to take a day off to recover. I have finally learned that lesson.

No comments: