Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Celebration of End of Liquid Diet

I got all dressed up in white walking shorts, a gold and white striped t-shirt and a gold jacket with lots of gold jewelry. Mom looked fantastic in winter white wool slacks and a Kelly green sweater with tons of gold jewelry, too. We looked cute! We were in celebration mode. We were going out to a nice restaurant for our first lunch together since my liquid diet in late January.

But before we had lunch, we ran to Macy's and I bought a gorgeous Ralph Lauren black light weight sweater with white polka dots for the trip. I also found a pair of white jeans. I also learned a lesson: always, always try jeans on before buying them. I didn't read the fine print where it proclaimed that they were skinny jeans. I want a looser leg from the hip down, not tight all the way to the knee then a bit of a flair. Back to Macy's this morning before the rehab class.

We then ran to World Market and bought two small hurricane and candle sets for the new table arriving on Saturday. What a bargain!

So, we arrived at the famous Fish Market. Mom had never been there and I had not been since the '80s. When I was at the butcher's earlier, they asked how my diet was going and I told them mom and I were having our first lunch together. They told me to eat upstairs as it will be quieter for mom. When we checked in, the downstairs had a great bar, captain's chairs, an outside eating area on the lagoon where boats can tie up, music was playing and action was happening.

But, we wanted upstairs. We arrive to an elegant, white table cloths, different menu, open kitchen restaurant. We had a beautiful window seat and it was PERFECT! We discovered that the lower and upper spaces were actually different restaurants but owned by the same people. Upstairs was the highest quality of fish, never frozen, prepared by a chef rather than line chefs.

The waitress was lovely, explained everything to us, we told her about our celebration and she gave us a free appetizer of two crab cakes. Now, I have had lots of crab cakes. This was not about the spices or the bread crumbs, this was about large chunks of fresh crab. It was the best I have ever eaten. Mom had a Maine Lobster BLT and I was shocked that she ate it all (except for some of the bread). I enjoyed a fresh crab salad but was able to get a half order. Perfect size. Very fresh crab. It was a lovely celebration of my diet.

It may seem odd to celebrate with food but such is life. I must always be careful when eating out and it was such a perfect lunch for my diet where my focus is calories and carbs.

What surprised me the most was that mom made reservations for her 86th birthday in August before we left. She loved it that much.

It was such a nice day.

No comments: