Sunday, March 30, 2014

Rainy Day Goodness

Saturday morning, I did all the shopping and banking and was home by noon. Within a few minutes, the clouds came in, the sky darkened and we had one heck of a downpour. It was magnificent. With the symphony of raindrops on the roof (we have cathedral ceiling in the family room so the rain was loud!), I did all the mapping for our road trip in May. It was a lot of work and required concentration. After almost three hours, I am now ready to hit the road. Each day has a packet which includes the map for the day, the miles and directions and the hotel confirmation. It also has driving directions to specific restaurants we want to remember not to miss in certain cities and directions from the hotel to friend's homes. The Bourbon Trail in Kentucky was the biggest challenge. We need to visit seven distilleries in two day in order to have our "passports" stamped for the much desired t-shirts proclaiming to the world that we had completed the trail. The distilleries are wildly spread apart with lots of little back roads to navigate.

It was during this time that I began to feel a bit of a scratchy throat, a mild headache and the feeling of something trying to invade my body. I went into fight mode last night beginning with Vick's Vapor Rub on my feet (covered by old sock to protect the sheets) and my secret weapon: Aprodine. I feel much better this morning but I will do the same routine again tonight.

I made a killer dinner of the Ahi Tuna Steaks and Stuffed Tomatoes. Michael LOVED the entire meal. It helped that I bought him a little container of ice cream as a treat. Leftovers tonight.

Today offers more rain. I am just going to run out to buy two things I forgot yesterday before cleaning my closet. I need to bleach a lot of my white socks and I am going to begin to put together all the clothes I am thinking about packing for the trip in one area of the closet. With the new car and its tiny trunk, packing is going to be a challenge. I did buy a new golf shirt at the Ritz to go with my new pair of golf short I bought at Costco. So far, I am planning to pack three pairs of shorts, white slacks and a pair of jeans. The shirts and jackets and sweaters will the the issue.

I just want to get going but the anticipation is also the fun of the trip. So much to arrange before we go but when we back out of the garage the first day, all our work is done and there is nothing left but to enjoy the adventure ahead. I can't wait.

No comments: