Monday, March 31, 2014

Santa Cruz


It was an unusual Sunday. Michael was preparing to leave to work on our friend British Don's car, to be delivered tonight, as he is now home from his business trip to China, when Spring Fever hit! I was making my breakfast for the week on the stove when he asked how fast I could get dressed. "Ten minutes!" Well, maybe not the whole truth because I had to finish cooking, making the bed, cleaning the counters then it would take about ten-minutes getting dressed. 

"Go!"

We hopped into the new car, put down the top and drove 45-minutes south to Santa Cruz. No tourists. No traffic. Just the two of us on the road. It felt fantastic. We walked downtown Santa Cruz, shopped the famous huge surf shops then had lunch at a sweet little place named Chocolate. Very Santa Cruz. I had an appetizer of Organic Rotisserie Chicken in a very unsweetened BBQ sauce made with cocoa powder. Very rich and deep flavors. Michael had their freshly baked quiche with asparagus. We made our way back up the coast and had a nice, quiet afternoon. 

At 6:30, I sent Michael out the door with his leftover Ahi Tuna Steak cut as a cold appetizer to Ron's next door for "The Big Lebowski" night! Ron also served a homemade pizza featuring a yellow pepper, Italian broccoli and an artichoke from his garden. We also bought two large truffles at the restaurant in Santa Cruz so they had that as dessert. Did I mention wine? Yes. There was wine, too.

Me? I was in bed asleep by 8PM but it was not until 2AM that I noticed he was beside me in bed, gently snoring. That was the result of the wine. He really doesn't snore unless he has had a bit of alcohol. So odd. 

He had a ball. They talked and laughed and told stories. 

I began my run on Coldcalm yesterday afternoon and it seems to be working. So far. Today is going to be a challenge. A huge storm is due around noon and with it comes lower temperatures. Mom and I will probably still be deep in the Silicon Valley waiting for the oil change on her car. I still have to run by the bank, AT&T, try to make an appointment for a sonogram for my liver again then getting home to make dinner. After dinner, we are delivering British Don's car up to him in the city and probably won't be home until after 9:00. I really need sleep right now as I am fighting getting sick. I can sleep in a bit on Tuesday. Maybe. 

No comments: