Thursday, April 10, 2014

A Day Off

Do you ever feel like you had a day off? After a bit of drama, yesterday was a really nice day. Michael finally found casual shoes to wear while driving on our road trip but another store had his size, he put them on hold and I had to swing by to pick them up right as they opened yesterday. No problem. It was while I was getting dressed when my ears suddenly heard, "Large tractor trailer gravel truck overturned. The pass is closed." Nuts. I quickly got dress.

That is a story. I bought a new Ralph Lauren light weight black and white polka dot sweater to wear with my black skirt. It was perfect for my luncheon with the rehab boys. Eighty-two year old Dick loves women's legs and I usually wear workout clothing so I thought I would wear a skirt for him. He thanked me again and again!

I hit the road by 9AM then drove north to bypass the accident. Well, many others were doing the same thing and we all just crawled along the ocean cliffs. I did arrive with ten-minutes to spare and sat outside Foot Locker waiting for them to open. Suddenly, one of the mall walkers glanced at me and we both froze. "I know you," I said. It was a woman I had not seen in over twelve years from the school where I got sick. It was so good to see her, we exchanged email addresses and I quickly grabbed Michael's shoes.

Next up: See's Candy. It is West Coast candy. It is actually made near the mall so I went by the factory store and bought a box of candy for the Apria lady who arranged all 11 of my orders for concentrators for the trip and several goodies for the office at Michael's work. With them in hand, I delivered them to the staff. A bit a chocolate always makes things better.

Michael loved my fancy outfit, thanked me for the chocolate for the staff and I headed to lunch. A three hour lunch. The rehab boys were in great form and Allyson, the retired RN who worked with us, laughed a lot. She said she misses us. We certainly miss her a lot. At one point, Dick turned to her and told her, with tears in his eyes, that she was in the top of a handful of people who he utterly respected and who affected his life in a positive way. It was a really lovely lunch of four good friends.

I rolled the windows down in the car and drove home over the opened pass, played some piano and made dinner. It felt like I had a day off. Time together with friends, bumping into an old friend, feeling great about how I looked all dressed up, enjoying my piano, making a great dinner. A nice day off.

Back to workout clothes and the rehab class today.

No comments: