Thursday, May 1, 2014

Lots of Stress for a Quick Doctor's Appointment

I was a bit nervous to drive deep into the city for the late appointment with the weight doctor. It created an opportunity to be in rush hour traffic both going and coming back home. To try to avoid it a bit, I thought I would leave even earlier but my friend from Raleigh phoned. She wanted to share the great news that the tornadoes had passed so we came come for a visit! We will be with her next weekend to not only celebrate Mother's Day but it is also her daughter's birthday. Lots to celebrate. I had both of her kids in the music program so I know her daughter very well. She is a high school physics teacher. Smart cookie.

So, I left a little later and held my breath. I hit every tourist, every truck, every stop light, barely avoided two accidents and arrived exhausted. Did I mention it was 90 degrees? That was very unusually hot for our area. After a quick stop at Starbucks for a passion fruit unsweetened iced tea, I was able to gather myself for the appointment. The doctor was on time, I told stories of our past trips, she told me that I did fantastically well losing the weight, I mentioned that I might have to eat a Georgia peach, she agreed. That was about it.

Back in the car. It was now 5:25PM and I was deep in the city surrounded by stopped traffic. I took a little back way until I hit Golden Gate Park. It was a parking lot. Finally, snuck through to a little short cut to a less traveled road which was moving, cut over to a highway overlooking the ocean and dropped down into Pacifica on Highway 1. We were doing well until...stopped on the freeway. To travel between two exits took 15 minutes. After 25 minutes, I broke through the city and headed down along our coast to home. I got home at 6:40.

In the meantime, the pass was closed due to a major injury accident. Michael had a hair cut appointment. I was worried, via cell phone updates while waiting to see the doctor, that the commute traffic would take my way home from the north as an alternate and it would be an even bigger mess. And, he would not be able to make the hair appointment...no haircut for the trip. After two hours of it being closed, it opened, he was able to get to the appointment, I was able to get home and all was well.

But, I still had to cook dinner. It was 7:10 by the time we were both home and enjoying our meal together. I am so glad that day is over. Today, my focus is on the back yard garden and getting cash for the trip from the bank. I also want to check in with mom. A much quieter day. Thank goodness.

No comments: