Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Meeting family

We are alive! Just exhausted. After 13-hour days on the road, losing three hours to time changes, we loved spending Monday night and all day Tuesday with friends we met through this blog. I don't want to give any information about them but I really feel that there is a genetic connection between us. Joanne and her mom have very similar features to me and my mom. So familiar. So comfortable.

We developed our relationship because she found this blog. Her husband was dying before her eyes. He was preparing himself to leave this earth. Falling upon the blog, she discovered that there was an interstitial lung disease clinic 90-minutes away. In two days, they were meeting, testing and within a short period of time, they discovered he was misdiagnosed. He has my disease: hypersensitivity pneumonitis. After lots of PFTs, runs of prednisone, Cellcept and CT scans, he went back to work. He is not on medication or supplemental oxygen. He has such a great mental outlook about having a bad diagnosis that I know he has decades of live ahead of him.

I also know that both Joanne and Jeff will be a part of our lives forever. As Joanne said, "You are now family." We feel the same way.

Today and tomorrow, we are in Lexington to taste bourbon. I should say that Michael is the one doing the actual tasting. He is having a ball. 

The oxygen has been at each of the hotels. I did struggle coming over the Rockies until we were in eastern Nebraska. Just sitting in the car, my saturation dropped to 84%. Not good. I feel great, not short of breath and we just enjoyed a bit of a swim. All is well.

No comments: