Thursday, June 19, 2014

Bumping into Nasty

Just a quick blog this morning because mom has an early morning appointment to check and adjust her pacemaker. All went well yesterday. I made all the appointments on time and even cooked dinner! But I thought I should share this conversation that happened as a nice man held an elevator for me as I headed to the weight management clinic on the 5 floor. There were already four other people in the elevator, I hopped in then noticed that none of them had pressed what floor they wanted so I said:

Me:  What floor can I press for you?

From the back: 3, please.

Another: 2, please.

Another 4, please.

Me:  Pressing buttons! That is something I am good at!

Numbers 2 and 3 got off on their floors while I continued riding with an older woman.

Older woman while exiting the elevator: Your enthusiasm for pressing buttons is overwhelming. (Said in a snarky and disgusting manner. In other words, I was way too happy.)

Me in a louder voice as she was now out of sight:  I am just happy to be alive as I should have been dead five years ago! (Now comes my confession: I added a very quiet "b*tch" after the elevator continued to my floor. I NEVER use that word but somehow it felt just right.)

While checking in with my friends at the front desk, I was telling them what had just happened. Imagine living with someone so nasty and so negative and so mean. They started telling me stories of some of the most horrible things that have been said to them. I wonder if we are so self absorbed these days that we have lost all sense of propriety and kindness? Or was she just a nasty woman?

No comments: