Sunday, June 22, 2014

Gardening Accident

What a race. We are watching the F1 race from Austria while I blog. At the halfway point, it is really hard to predict who is going to win at this point. Very interesting.

While doing the gardening yesterday, I was loading a huge tub of leaves that I had gathered along the fence line into the recycling container when something happened. The lid just would not stay open, I was positioned in a twist trying to dump the contents of the heavy tub when the huge container slammed into my side, just below my left arm pit. I didn't hear a crack but I knew I had hurt a rib. I checked my breathing to make sure I didn't fracture it or punctured a lung. Check. I took a deep breath. OUCH! I coughed. DOUBLE OUCH. Clearly I did something.

Did I stop? Nope. I still needed to cut the back, trim, blow and water. There was a bit of a worry that if I suddenly couldn't breathe, no one would come to my aid. Suddenly, I noticed that Ron was in his garden on the phone with his daughter. Okay. If I needed help, he was there. I continued.

Before going into the yards that morning, I was tired and planning a nap. After getting everything done, I fell into the chair and slept for two hours. While still in my gardening clothes and my hair matted from the hat, the door bell rang. It was my dear friend Sue. We met through our children when they were in kindergarten and she just was driving by, decided to stop for a quick hello.

She stayed and chatted an hour. It was delightful. We booked a lunch together after she returns from a visit with her family in Boston. Suddenly, it was 4:30, Michael was home and I was still a bit groggy. I fell into bed at 8:30 and slept until 6:30 this morning.

The ribs are sore but really not any worse than yesterday, so that is a good sign. I will take it easy today with a quick trip to the grocery store followed by a walk along the ocean.

No comments: