Thursday, June 5, 2014

Vinyasa Flow/Yin Yoga

Yesterday, it was with a bit of trepidation that I showed up to the new yoga class on Wednesday mornings. Coincidentally, it is being taught by a woman I first met when I thought I needed a private teacher to get me going. Remember, Dr. K. had insisted that I practice yoga. As she said, "You have done the work on the outside, now is the time to work on the inside." She wanted me to have the tools learned in yoga to handle the stress and pain of lung transplants.

Karrie was an amazing teacher. Natalie had recommended her to me as someone she wished she had met a long time ago. A master teacher. We met, talked but I decided to just try a class with another teacher, which worked out well for me. During the past three years, Karrie and I have remained friends on Facebook.

I arrived a bit early to class and Karrie greeted me by name and said, "You are home from your trip!" Facebook. Sometimes you gotta love it! The class was a 90-minute combination of Vinyasa Flow and Yin Yoga. One works the muscles while the other works the connective tissues. It is a good combination for me. I got through the class with sweat and supplemental oxygen for the first half and loved holding poses for 3-minutes each during the second half. I feel a bit of tenderness in my body this morning, which I also like. Proof of a good workout.

After the class, Karrie came to me in tears. She hugged me and told me that I had come a long way since we met over three years ago. Not only physically but emotionally as well. Sadly, I have doctor appointments the next two Wednesdays so I told her I would return soon.

Today is going to be a full day. I am meeting Lois, my biologist friend, for tea and conversation this morning then the big interview in the city for the Patient Advisory Board is this afternoon. Lots of talking!

No comments: