Friday, July 11, 2014

Changes To Live with Chronic Disease

I have recently been reminded of the all the changes we made to our lives in order to live with this chronic disease. We bought a higher bed (easier to make), hepa filters for the house, changed my diet, closed our circle of friends, educated myself about the disease and so much more. 

It was always trying to find the balance between pushing myself but not over doing anything. Prednisone required me to adjust our social life. I hated appearing at parties with extra weight and a huge round moonface. And the sweat. Oh, the sweat. We also worried about being around a lot of people because I also had no immune system. Still don't. Still worry. No movies or live concerts or anyplace where I would be surrounded by people. Coughing, ill, contagious people. I also hated being short of breath just doing simple tasks. It was embarrassing. I didn't feel like myself. I lost the feeling of being a woman especially at night when I had to sleep on a wedge and attached to the long oxygen hose. I never felt attractive. 

I felt ill. 

What changed? Pulmonary rehab. It was my social and emotional support group as well as kicking my butt. The more I worked out, the less I would sweat. I suddenly could do simple tasks without being short of breath. I began to feel more like myself again. I no longer felt "sick." Michael and I began to venture out and tried to wrap the disease into our lives instead of letting it drive our lives. He kept reassuring me that I was still me. He loved me. We would do this final walk of my life together. 

Little did either of us know that ten years later, I am still here. I am in the best shape of my adult life. I am fit and ready for a lung transplant if I experience the sudden crash. I continue to astound my doctors. We adjusted our lives for the disease then lived it as normally as possible.

No comments: