Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Liver Tests

My poor liver. It has been processing prednisone for almost 10 years. It is tired. This morning, I will be driving into the city for blood tests in anticipation of my appointment with the liver doctor next week. During my last visit with my lung doctor, she reviewed the report of the liver sonogram I had earlier that day. It was no longer swollen. I mentioned that I was very nervous about having a liver biopsy via my jugular vein. She responded that it was very safe and that, in fact, she would also like to have a couple things tested while they were in there. Great. I am still nervous about it but next week, I will probably relent and schedule the biopsy.

I got all of my work done yesterday but did not go for a walk. My body is just itching to move. After the run into the city, I am going to park up at the harbor and walk 15 minutes longer than ever just to see if I can. A challenge. I guess I was inspired by last night's Extreme Weight Loss with Chris Powell. If you have never seen this ABC program, it follows Chris working with a person for an entire year. The goal is always a weight loss of 45-50%, which will allow skin removal surgery. The guy last night lost 201 pounds in a year. Remarkable.

We are leaving for LA in nine days. The drive is down the most boring highway in the country - Interstate Highway 5 - but it makes for a quick trip. When we drive down for a museum run, we leave at 5AM and arrive by noon. As it is so fast, we always wonder way we don't do it more often. We are taking the Porsche for the first time and are looking forward to being together again.

Mary's sister Patty throws a family reunion every year, though only her family attends. It is an excuse for a party! This year, Anna asked if we could come down as she wanted to attend. A cousin from Las Vegas is going to be there and she wants to see him. It is also Mary's birthday. So, we have decided to surprise her. We need to bring baked pies with us for Mary's birthday party along with presents of lotions, coffee and gin for her; scotch for her sister; and hand-milled soap, See's Candy, and something else for Anna and Doug. It has been over 100 degrees there and we are going to be miserable! We are just not used to that kind of heat. I have ordered an oxygen concentrator to be delivered to their home and with that heat, I am really going to need it.

No comments: