Thursday, August 14, 2014

Just Another Miracle

Today is officially blog number 1711.  That is a lot of blogs. As I read some of the older ones, I discover how my own education about lung function and diseases has grown through the years as does my confidence. Once I felt the results of rehab exercise and was feeling so good, I began to dream that maybe, just maybe, I was going to live with this disease so much longer than expected.

And I have.

My advice? Go back and read the first months of the blog. It is my story of my illness and my own panic stage of living with a fatal diagnosis. It may sound so familiar to your story.

Miracles do happen. Besides my own, Mom had one yesterday. We met with her fancy cardiologist yesterday morning after an echo cardiogram. He walked in wide-eyed. He was stunned. Apparently, her heart function with the pacemaker went from very horrible to normal. In his words, he had NEVER seen that happen. Ever. There is usually an increase in function but not to now presenting a normal heart. It was a good day.

From there, we played some cards before I headed to see the nutritionist in the city. Traffic was horrendous. What would normally take thirty minutes took over double that time to arrive at the Weight Management Clinic. Yes, I lost two pounds, thank you very much. I want to lose three more before the wedding in September...

Twelve years into contracting my lung disease, I left the house at 7AM yesterday after showering, making the bed, cleaning the kitchen to drive miles with mom, walked forever for her university hospital appointments, enjoyed lunch together, drove miles north to my university hospital, walked to the appointment, drove home through horrible rush hour traffic, got home after 5PM, made a fabulous dinner and fell into bed at 8PM. That's a lot of activities of daily living! After ten years of daily exercise and healthy eating, I am out in the world functioning at a very high level. Never, never would I have ever thought I would be feeling this good this far into the disease. That alone is a miracle.

No comments: