Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Post Op

I AM HOME!! It was interesting. We arrived early, of course, had the insurance check-in before heading to the radiology unit. We waited. And waited. A nurse finally arrived to take me to a changing area. She was...different. She used my wrong last name, told me I could keep my jewelry on (though had been advised to leave it at home so I was not wearing any), told me that I was not allowed to bring any medications (I was asked to bring my eye drops), told me to leave my shoes on (another nurse came in to give me slippers), when I told her I had a serious lung disease she asked if my doctor was informed that I would be having this procedure and a few other things that did not give me much confidence.

Michael and I were amazed at the room where the procedure was going to happen. Lots of people rushing about. Huge pieces of machinery. An xray was used throughout the procedure to follow the internal equipment down the proper paths. I was AWAKE THE ENTIRE TIME. It took about 20-minute to position me on the table, my neck was exposed and I faced to the left under a protective cover. Thankfully, I asked for oxygen so I did not feel claustrophobic.

A sonogram was used to find the jugular vein, they cleaned the area, shot it full of a numbing agent and then they cut in. Down went lots of equipment - camera, sensor to test pressure of the large veins in the liver, a capsule that opened to cut the liver three times to collect tissue samples. I know because I counted. Three times.

I had no pain except in my right shoulder during the cutting of the liver biopsy. It hurt! I mentioned it just as they finished. The pain was suddenly gone. The whole thing, including setting me up, lasted just an hour. I stayed in a post-op area for a couple of hours before moving into a short stay unit. Other people there had recent heart and brain tests.

The room was a filled with about a dozen people who came and went throughout the day and night. As promised, I was at a far end in the corner. It was perfect. I was not exposed to many people. Marisa, who arranged my corner, came by this morning so I was able to thank her.

The gentleman next to me was turning 90-years old next month and was a retired surgeon. Everyone paid him lots of attention. Apparently, he had a heart issue, was in a bit of pain yesterday but with an adjustment of some of his medications, he was pain-free and delighted. I loved when he phoned his wife this morning: Good morning, Baby. Love that. 90!! He also was headed home later today.

The surgeon came by last night to tell me that the pressure numbers in the liver were NORMAL. A good sign. He told me that the liver looked good and that I should continue doing whatever I am doing. We talked about my exercise and diet program. He was not surprised after talking with me. When I told him I worked out 8 times a week, he said he was surprised it was not more! Said with a nice smile and a twinkle in his eyes!

They did blood counts every four hours to check to see if there was any bleeding from the biopsy sites. None. The hole in my neck never bled and the bandage will be removed tomorrow. I can't wait to see how the size of the wound! Now we are waiting to hear the tissue numbers.

The food. Ah, the food. The first lunch was a chicken breast with three carrots and apples and soup and a roll and rice. So, I had the chicken and carrots and the broth from the soup. Dinner was spaghetti, roasted veggies, a roll, pasta soup. I ate the meat sauce without the pasta and the veggies. Breakfast this morning was oatmeal, yogurt with fruit, strawberries, egg beaters, toast, jam, coffee. I had the egg beaters and saved the oatmeal and strawberries for Michael. He brought a delicious cup of fresh Peet's coffee and I was in heaven.

The nursing staff was wonderful but my favorite was this morning's male nurse from Perth, Australia. Charming. When Michael arrive, he handed Andrew two dozen of the best Italian cookies to share at the nursing station as a thank you for taking such good care of me. His eyes lit up!

After signing all the paperwork, we were in the car heading home by 10:00. Not bad.

I did wonder how I am ever going to stand being confined to a hospital after a lung transplant, especially when I hear that sometimes it is for three months. That would drive me insane. Just after 24 hours, the first sniff of cool fresh air was delightful and we drove home with the windows down. Freezing. Just couldn't get enough. It feels great to be home.

I must cool my jets for a week. They worry about bleeding. So, I am having a nice facial tomorrow. That's it. Nothing else. But, I'm home. All is wonderful.

No comments: