Saturday, August 9, 2014

Transjugular Liver Biopsy Scheduled

While mom was having her eye rinsed after a shot to prevent macular degeneration, my cell phone rang. It was my university hospital so I took the call out in the hallway. A lovely woman from radiology wanted to schedule my transjugular liver biopsy. The dreaded biopsy. We agreed to Monday, August 18th. We must arrive at 7AM then prepare me for an 8:00 start time. The whole thing should take 1.5 hours but it requires an overnight stay, where I will be monitored for bleeding at the biopsy site.

The good news that that I will just be sedated. No anesthesia, thank goodness!

A nurse, who will have read my entire file, will be phoning with more information and I will be able to once again make them aware of my diminished lung capacity and my concerns.

The doctor had requested this type of biopsy so the pressure in my liver can be measured. This will give a good indication of the amount of fibrosis present, if any. My poor liver is protesting after ten years of prednisone therapy for my lungs.

If it ain't one thing it's another!

No comments: