Thursday, December 18, 2014

Grateful

It felt great to just be home yesterday. I was on my feet in the kitchen for several hours making two batches of baklava and five pounds of sugar-glazed walnuts. The baklava is being sent into Michael's work today, I shipped a small batch to my brother yesterday and even a few pieces are being given to mom's physical therapist this morning. And several pieces have made their way to Michael. It is his very favorite of everything I make.

I made the nuts for the housekeepers and my three rehab RNs and physical therapists. They are also all being given gift cards. I am so grateful to each of them.

The chandelier in the dining room is now sparkling and I keep reviewing the list of things to do before William arrives on the 24th. Since he has been on the road since early September, he is just not in the mood for Christmas. We hope to give him a bit of Christmas spirit by reminding him that we all have so much to be grateful for this year. I just glanced over to see Michael sipping a cup of coffee. In November, he may have had a major brain injury yet here he is today. Normal. Yesterday, I wrote out $5,000.00 worth checks to pay our deductible for the event. Merry Christmas! That hurt! But, it was all worth it to know that he had no brain injuries.

This morning, I will head out into the world of standing water everywhere to shop for my niece before the final rehab class before Christmas. One of my rehab boys phoned on Tuesday to tell me his lungs crashed. Dick was now on supplemental oxygen 24/7 and felt exhausted and overwhelmed. He was also the caretaker for his wife and he sounded so weak and breathless. After a CT scan and blood tests, there was no diagnosis of the cause of the downturn. With the recent death of Marty and losing Susan earlier this year, I just don't think I can take another dear friend leaving this earth. I am hoping that the prednisone and antibiotics will work their magic to turn his situation around.

No comments: