Sunday, December 21, 2014

Lists of Lists

I have to keep reminding myself that the goal this Christmas is to celebrate the holiday with the family but not to get sick. I have to remember to eat well, to exercise and to sleep! Ah, it is that last one. My brain is so full of lists and what I need to get done each day that it has a hard time settling down each night. I awaken suddenly at 1:30 or 3:30 each morning almost in a panic, then I lay in bed thinking, thinking, thinking. I am beginning to drag.

It was crazy yesterday. I drove Michael over the pass; worked out; went in search of Duraflame Stax (odorless) at Home Depot, Target, Walgreens, CVS then ran to the bank before meeting Michael at 11:30. We fought freeway traffic back north to buy William and British Don some hoodies at the famous custom car speed shop, grabbed some lunch, I dropped Michael back to the shop and was home by 2:00. Then the work began.

After doing the laundry, I ironed a week of Michael's dress/work shirts and my grandmother's large linen tablecloth for the dining room table. I then took some Limoges, Christmas and my great-aunt's china dinnerware and set the table for Christmas. The nine candles as the centerpiece is a nod/homage to a menorah and our love of Jewish food being served this Christmas. Today, I will add the silverware and glasses.

This morning, by 6AM, I will be at Safeway to buy everything I need to make the latkas today as well as all the other food on the list for Christmas. Tomorrow I will buy the remaining food at Trader Joe's. Hopefully, I have not forgotten something so I won't have to fight any crowds later in the week. After I get home and put it all away, Michael and I are going to the butcher's, the fancy liquor store miles away and maybe even buying the caviar today.

After we get home this afternoon, I will wash all the windows to erase all the raindrops and finish up the table.

Did I mention while waiting to meet my former student for breakfast last Friday, I went by a CVS next to the restaurant in search of the Duraflame logs when I bumped into the lottery machine? I NEVER play the lottery nor scratchers. I stood for a bit, chose one and scratched it off in the car. Amazingly, I won $100.00, which is going to pay the bill at the butcher's and some of the groceries today! What a nice Christmas present!

No comments: