Sunday, February 22, 2015

To My Friend Dianne

I never met her in person.

Many years ago, I re-joined the little local orchestra and a friend had been hired to play as well. David and I had played string bass in the same section together for many years in the larger, very respected symphony orchestra. After hearing about my lung struggles and my march towards lung transplants, he gave me Dianne's name. She received her transplants years earlier and he thought she may be able to offer the answers to my many questions.

We met on Facebook, as she lived in the Chicago area.

Dianne was two years younger than I, had a very unusual lung disease and, if I remember correctly, was transplanted over fourteen years ago. When I was sent to the transplant clinic a few years ago, she was in daily contact. In 2013, when I was in the hospital and they thought this was the downturn towards transplants, she was there to offer encouragement and support. When I worried that the stopwatch started at transplant time and one only had five years left, she would remind me that it was not so.

She had some non-lung problems last year, spent time in the hospital but was happy to be home gaining strength and being around family. Last week, she was back in the hospital with an infection. Soon, she was on a ventilator and fighting for her life.

Dianne died last night after a valiant fight to live. She was ADORED by her children and grandchildren. She was a positive light in my life and I will deeply miss her.

No comments: