Thursday, April 23, 2015

Finally Caught Sardines

We did it again yesterday. Played hooky. Slept in. Went to a fancy place on the ocean for lunch with all the tourists and even ran into two of the staff from our dentist's office there, who were celebrating their week off.

For two years, I have been trying to find Monterey sardines to cook here at the house. I scoured my local markets, then exotic fish markets over the hill and I even asked my butcher if they had any insight where I could buy them. Nothing. I still look if I'm in a market but, frankly, I have given up.

There they were on the menu yesterday: two for $12.00 over a bed of roasted broccoli and cauliflower. Perfect. They came with heads and tails and bones and I savored each little bite. They were probably a foot long, pan seared then finished in the oven. Though flavored with just some seasoning, they were so rich that I gave the second one to Michael! He had oysters, clam chowder and my sardine.

After lunch, I put on my walking shoes, hit the ocean trail and walked back up to the harbor restaurant! My hip had been better but I wanted to push it to see if it was still a problem. My appointment to have it looked at is next week. Yup, it was stiff after the long walk and I damaged it again getting my string bass into the little car after rehearsal last night. I am a bit sore this morning but not limping!

The rehearsal last night was so focused that my brain would not shut off. Ten o'clock. Eleven o'clock. I finally drifted off but was awake again at 4AM. I am going to be a zombie today.

This morning, I have to get out of here early for the housekeepers then DirectV is expected to arrive by noon.  After buying coffee grounds at Pete's, I'm hitting the trail again while I wait to get back into the house.

No comments: